With the 2017 Golfing Season fast approaching the Renfrewshire Golf Union (RGU) have been busy preparing their programme of events covering all levels of golfing age and ability.
The Boys Development and Under 14 squads have received coaching over the winter delivered by professionals David Orr – Eastwood G.C and Mark Loftus – Caldwell G.C. and this will hopefully lead to the Boys retaining the West league Title which they have won for the past 2 years.
The RGU have introduced a Gents Champion of Champions Event with will be played for on an individual knock out basis between the various Club Champions of the RGU clubs. They will play for the Herbie Pirie Trophy donated by the Pirie family in memory of Herbie, a long time member of Renfrew Golf Club.
The first event of the year is the Boys Champion of Champions event starting at Paisley G.C. on Sunday 9th April where Jack Currie – Greenock G.C. will be looking to retain the title he won last year.
Entries are now open for the various RGU Events which must be entered on line at www.renfrewshiregolfunion.co.uk
Dates of the events are as follows:-
- Caven Boys Stoke Play Championship – 7th May at Lochwinnoch G.C.
- Menzies Youths Stoke Play Championship – 7th May at Lochwinnoch G.C.
- Seniors (over50) Championship – 17th May at Kilmacolm G.C.
- Handicap Championship (handicaps from 6 – 28) – 11th June at Eastwood G.C.
- Scratch Championship (handicaps 5or less) – 30th July at Ranfurly Castle G.C. with the leading 16 players progressing to the Match Play Championship
We look forward to the support of the club members with in the RGU for these various events.
Major Trophy winners from 2016 are as follows:-
- Boys Champion of Champions – Jack Currie – Greenock G.C.
- Caven Trophy – Matthew Dalrymple – The Old Course Ranfurly G.C.
- Seniors Championship – David Doak – Greenock Whinhill G.C.
- Handicap 6 – 12 – Gary Meechan – The Earl of Mar G.C.
- Handicap 13 – 28 – Liam Hamilton – Erskine G.C.
- Scratch Championship – Matthew Clark – Kilmacolm G.C.
- Freedman Trophy (Boys match Play) – Jack Currie – Greenock G.C.
- Duncan Trophy (Youths Match Play) – Sean Burns – Caldwell
- Match Play Championship – Stuart Thomas – Erskine G.C.
- Club Team Championship – The Old Course Ranfurly G.C.
- County Cup -The Earl of Mar G.C.
- Boys Order of Merit – Jack Currie – Greenock G.C.
- Under 14’s Order of Merit – Scott Newman – Greenock G.C.
Away From RGU events players have been involved in many National and International events.
- Craig Watson – East Renfrewshire G.C. was appointed captain of the Walker Cup and St Andrews Trophy Teams for2017.
- International Caps were won by Jamie Stewart – The Old Course Ranfurly, Ronnie Clark – Erskine C.C. and Matthew Clark – Kilmacolm G.C.
- Ronnie Clark and Matthew Clark were also selected to play in the British team for Concessional Cup played for in U.S.A.
- Jack Currie won the Scottish Boys Champion of Champions
- Ronnie Clark won the Scottish Seniors Match Play Championship and finished runner-up in the Seniors Order of Merit.
- Jamie Stewart was part of the Scottish Golf winter training programme in South Africa where he finished third in the Stroke Play Championship; the first 2 places were taken by his Team mates.
- Matthew Dalrymple – The Old Course Ranfurly won the West of Scotland Boys match Play Championship.
- Matthew and Lewis Breslin – Fereneze G.C. are now both in USA on golf scholarships and Stewart Percy – Caldwell G.C. has scholarship at the University of the Highlands and Islands based in Dornoch.
Over the winter Junior Boys take part in many events organized by Scottish Golf and the Junior Tour with some notable performances coming from Jonathan Murphy – Erskine G.C., Roddy McAuley – Fereneze G.C., Aidan Reid – Whitecraigs G.C. and Aidan O’Hagan – The Old Course Ranfurly G.C.
All in all a very successful year for the RGU and the players who form part of the RGU and our thanks to the individual clubs for their support..